With this second post on the subject, we take a bit more time with the statue of the cardinal duc, Armand-Jean du Plessis, the founder of so many French activities and organisations that have endured to our day. The statue is located on the place that sits between his château's domainal parc to the south and his model town to the north.
He poses giving a cardinal's blessing to the viewer with his right hand, while holding the document of foundation of the Académie Française (dated as 1635) in his left.
|the all-seeing, all-knowing statesman|
The statue has several 'credits' attached to it.
|the sculptor's credit 1828|
|the relocation of the statue in 1932|
|the Second Regiment of the Marines|
|dedications from the Second Regiment of the Marines|
- The sculptor - C(laude) Ramey, père - Dijon, dated 1828
- The inauguration of the statue in Richelieu 17 July 1932, probably as part of the bequest of the domainal parc to the Sorbonne (of which Armand-Jean was the first rector, and in whose chapel he rests to this day) by the eigth and last duke. It had formerly been located on the Pont Neuf of Henri IV in Paris for the period 1828-1932.
- Two plaques of the Second Regiment of the Marines to their first Chef de Corps, one from 1932(?) and the other from the Lieutenants of the Second of the Marine, dated 9 December 1995 to their founding 'father'. The old strategist and pupil of Pluvinel's equestreian & military academy is not forgotten!
|the cardinal up closer|
|the foundation of the Academie Française|